Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Discrimination" At U. Mich?

People are claiming that campus directors are still discriminating at the University of Michigan when the applications ask the aplicant their sex and race. Many people are upset because the proposal claims that race is to be absent from the deciding, despite affirmative action laws.

I don't see a problem with asking a student for their race. In fact, if I were an African American, I would be upset if they did not ask me. I graduated high school with a 3.5 GPA and a 28 on my ACT both times I took it. When I applied to Tennessee Tech, I was offered $0 in scholarship money from the school.

However, if I had been African American, I would be going to college almost for free.

Michigan citizens need to learn the difference between discrimination, and racial endowments. But if you want to be fair, you can give all of the non-black students who are going to UM the same scholarship money that the black students get.