Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Best Scam So Far

There's a new type of web scam coming out that I just got in my inbox. It's claiming to be a French company named "Financial Intelligence" offering a "regional agent" job in the states making $50,000/yr for just a few hours of work per week.

You click on the link and it takes you to a very fancy looking webpage that has all the appearance of a financial firm. Except I noticed one thing.

You know how this web address is gopandcollege.blogspot.com? Blogspot is the free hosting company, and the gopandcollege part is a free domain inside that main address. This site had the same appearance it was http://______.php0h.com.

So I decided to look into the web address before I even started to look at the main address, php0h.com. It was a free web hosting page. That made me suspicious.

So then I started to read the page.

For those interested, the following are the basic requirements:

  1. US Citizens and/or residents of the state.
  2. Should not be below 21 years of age
  3. Can dedicate at least 2-3 work hours/week
  4. With a working e-mail address and a telephone access


Then I read this last bit;
Should have a healthy checking account

Then I looked at the job description, and it just all went down hill.
  1. Receive funds or either from our company or from our partners to his bank account as approved by the Manager
  2. Make necessary processing of funds in accordance to our company needs.
  3. Create records of transactions and report the details of the same to the Manager.

Mmmm. This has scam written all over it, so just be warned that it's the same old Nigerian money scam, but with a technological twist. And just for the record, here is the REAL company named Financial Intelligence, located in California.