Wednesday, July 19, 2006

So Much For "Diet" Sodas

I found this bit of info at commenter, Randy's site, and I found it very interesting.

Combine this with other research that shows that people that drink diet sodas tend to gain MORE weight than people that drink non-diet sodas. As reported by WebMD:

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

26% for up to 1/2 can each day 30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day 32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.

For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day 37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day 54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.

This makes perfect sense though. How many times have you been to a fast food place and had the guy in front of you order a large burger meal...and a diet coke. You might be losing the 200 calories in the soda, but the burger and fries are still over 800 by themselves.

As a side note, I'm 5'6", weigh 147 and used to drink 2 sodas a day. But you know how I didn't get fat? I EXERCISED! And if I have any say in it, my kids (MANY years from now) are NOT going to have the latest and greatest video game console, or a hand-held game console. Instead, my kids are going to play sports, and in general, play outside. My kids are NOT going to just sit in the house, wasting their body and mind playing games.