Friday, February 23, 2007

Our Tax Dollars At Work

You know, at a school with such a vast amount of intelligence you would think there would be more common sense than I've seen here. I was walking out of my Fluid Mechanics class today and noticed a crowd of people. Being the inquisitive person I am, I had to turn and look at what they were gawking at. Apparently TTU had to call the Cookeville fire department because some dolt threw their cigarette into a container VERY clearly marked "CARDBOARD ONLY."

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2 and 2 together. If you throw a lit cig into a giant box filled with essentially paper, it's going to burn. But what upsets me is that this is the second time IN A WEEK that this particular container has been set ablaze. Fortunately the first time, I don't think the fire department was called. However, each time something like this happens it can cost the school upwards of $1,000 per call. It wouldn't surprise me if Tennessee Tech is the highest income earner for the Cookeville Fire Department. There was one week where some drunken idiots in a single dorm pulled the fire alarm 4 times (during the cold winter) at times like 3 AM. Each time CFD had to come out and inspect the entire dorm before anyone was allowed back in.

That money comes from a) my tuition, and b) my taxes, and I don't like it being wasted because some bumbling buffoon has no common sense.