Friday, October 01, 2004

Round 1, Kerry 10, Bush 9



I rushed back from a physics test to catch the debate last night, and I must say, Kerry looked like he's spent the last weeks studying up for this as though it were a final exam. Bush looks like how I studied for my calculus test, didn't feel like I needed it until after I took the test.

A few moments from the debate:

1) This one was a point that Bush should have jumped all over...
Kerry - "I understand what the president is talking about, because I know what it means to lose people in combat. And the question, is it worth the cost, reminds me of my own thinking when I came back from fighting in that war.
And it reminds me that it is vital for us not to confuse the war, ever, with the warriors. That happened before."

If Bush had been on the ball he would have said something to show the point that Kerry left his comrades as soon as he was elidgible, AND accused fellow warriors of war crimes that led to the torture of U.S. P.O.W.'s

2) Kerry - "You don't take America to war unless have the plan to win the peace. You don't send troops to war without the body armor that they need.
I've met kids in Ohio, parents in Wisconsin places, Iowa, where they're going out on the Internet to get the state-of-the-art body gear to send to their kids. Some of them got them for a birthday present."

Bush should have made it a point to emphasis the fact that Kerry voted against the $87 billion that would have given the armor to those troops. And that beside that point, the bill passed and gave those needy soldiers exactly what they needed.

3) Bush - "It's the hardest decision a president makes. So I went to the United Nations. I didn't need anybody to tell me to go to the United Nations. I decided to go there myself.
And I went there hoping that, once and for all, the free world would act in concert to get Saddam Hussein to listen to our demands. They passed the resolution that said, "Disclose, disarm, or face serious consequences." I believe, when an international body speaks, it must mean what it says.
Saddam Hussein had no intention of disarming. Why should he? He had 16 other resolutions and nothing took place. As a matter of fact, my opponent talks about inspectors. The facts are that he was systematically deceiving the inspectors.
That wasn't going to work. That's kind of a pre-September 10th mentality, the hope that somehow resolutions and failed inspections would make this world a more peaceful place."

Bush stuck it to Kerry right there. Good boy Bush.

4) Kerry - "The president moved the troops, so he's got 10 times the number of troops in Iraq than he has in Afghanistan, where Usama bin Laden is. Does that mean that Saddam Hussein was 10 times more important than Usama bin Laden -- than, excuse me, Saddam Hussein more important than Usama bin Laden? I don't think so."

This made me pissed a good bit. It doesn't take as many troops to pick off scattered terrorists as it takes to defend a whole country from being over run by militants. Kerry knows that, and he took a cheap shot at Bush saying that.

And last. The most ridiculous moment by Kerry...

5) Kerry - "I have no intention of wilting. I've never wilted in my life. And I've never wavered in my life."

That was a down right lie, and I hope that America realized that w/ Bush's comments about him flip-flopping. He wilts and wavers every time he meets a new group of people to get votes from. He tells them whatever he wants to get their votes. It's sickening

Conclusion: Sad to say, but In boxing rules, I give it a 10-9 in favor of Kerry b/c as Fox pointed out, it seemed like Bush ran out of steam about halfway through. Looking forward to Tuesday though when Cheney tears Edwards' goofy ass smile off his face, then next Friday for the 2nd presidential debate.