Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A Bit More Than Slightly Disturbing

I will start off by saying that I have never been a Ron Paul supporter, and have had my doubts about him since the beginning of the debates in the mid/late part of last year. Frankly, I find Congressman Paul's Foreign Policy (Read:Isolationism) is naive and would not hold up, as it hasn't in the past. But TNR has found some very disturbing letters that were released under Ron Paul's name for many years while he was out of office. Congressman Paul claims that he has nothing to do with those articles, and states, "For over a decade, I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name."

But I find that a bit more than hard to believe.

I noticed something odd while looking at a commenter(#163) at the TNR site who claimed that the TNR writers were making a cop's words appear to be Cong. Paul's own. I was going to respond that the point isn't what the police officer said, so much as the paragraph after that. It is implied that the cop was saying that if you need to use a gun against a (presumably black) carjacking youth, then you should clean the gun and dispose of it. The next paragraph is obviously not a continuation of the quote from the officer as it states, "I frankly don't know what to make of such advice, but even in my little town of Lake Jackson, Texas I've urged everyone in my family to know how to use a gun in self defense. For the animals are coming."

Lake Jackson, Texas? That is the home of Congressman Paul, and has been such (I would assume) since 1968 when he moved to Texas. This letter was written in 1992, 6 years after Ron Paul left Congress, and 4 yearts before he returned in 1996. I find it VERY hard to believe that this letter, or any other of the appalling letters that were found by TNR were not edited or known of by Congressman Paul if they were written in his HOME TOWN.

PJ Media has a lot of soundbite type excerpts, but to get a real view of the articles, be sure to check out TNR's findings, as well as the follow-up articles written by HotAir here and here. It's some pretty creepy stuff. I have some Paul supporters at school that I would like to ask their opinion on these things.