Monday, January 28, 2008

NASCAR: How I Got It Bad

Trouble in Turn 2 has a cool post about how he got hooked on NASCAR, so I figured I'd follow through with my own remarkably simple version.

I literally grew up loving racing. Some of my earliest memories are of my dad and I going to what is now Music City Motorplex, to watch the local racers duke it out in the Late Models, Powder Puffs, Legends, Mini-Modifieds, and other divisions.

Usually once a year my dad and I would either drive up to Bristol, or Atlanta (when it was a regular oval) to watch the Busch or ARCA Series on that Saturday. I got to watch Charlie Glotzbach race in the ARCA series as well as when Michael Waltrip took a very nasty hit into the crossover gate at Bristol that tore his car in half at the firewall.

Following my dad, the black 3 was my driver of choice. His reason was simply, "At the time he was the only guy that could beat Bill Elliot," and that was good enough for me.

I still go to the Fairgrounds, and at some point I want to go to the Daytona 500, The Food City 500 at Bristol, and maybe a race at Atlanta since I may be moving to that area after school.

I love NASCAR, and once mid November comes around, I'm already looking forward to Speed Weeks in February. And this year with Joe Gibbs driving Toyota's, I can't express how excited I am about that. In a house of all Toyota's, it was a great day when they announced they were joining the cup.