Thursday, November 17, 2005

Parenting The Way It Should Be

How is it that America has gotten so afraid of punishing their kids when they do something wrong? What happened to the days where if you yelled at a teacher or your parents, they were allowed to turn you around and give you a clean pop on the behind? Now what do we have? The only safe thing you can do is put your kid in "Time Out." Ooooo, really scary stuff huh? What kind of message is that going to teach our kids? That if you break the law all you're going to get is a slap on the wrist and a "don't do that again?" I remember there was maybe one time when I did something wrong and my dad had to pop me on the rear for it and you know what? That set me strait. He didn't have to tell me again what was right and what was wrong.

Now we've got kids that yell at and hit their teachers, and parents who get the cops called on them for teaching their kid a lesson by making her prepare for the road ahead by holding up a sign that said "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food." And I wonder if you're even allowed to have a student go and sit in the corner with a dunce cap on if they misbehave. There was one time a kid got arrested at my high school because he called in a bomb threat to the school. The reason? He hadn't studied and didn't want to take a test. That landed him in jail with a suspension and a heck of a fine...Oh, and a big fat goose egg for the test. Bet he didn't think about that, otherwise he probably wouldn't have called it in.

As for the girl who held up the sign:
"In fact, Henderson has seen a turnaround in her daughter's behavior. But the punishment prompted letters and calls to talk radio from people either praising the woman or blasting her for publicly humiliating her daughter.
...Henderson said her daughter's attendance has been perfect and her behavior has been better since the incident.
Coretha, a soft-spoken girl, acknowledged the punishment was humiliating but said it got her attention. "I won't talk back," she said quietly."

Punishing your child works for discipline, it's just a shame that a small few who abused that method made it impossible for future generations to teach discipline to their kids.